Friday, August 29, 2014

I'm back!

Hello friends!

I am extremely thrilled to announce that I am back in the saddle with Ads Across the Globe. This blog began in part because I typically watch the advertisements on the television or try to pick out product placement in shows, rather than watch the shows themselves... And partly because I received class credit for it in an undergraduate Global Studies class.

I left because the class was over.
I never lost my love for thought provoking ads, in fact I have a cache of them waiting for you!
And I am now back because I'm getting class credit again.
Because in real life: Money = blog posts.

This time, it's for a graduate social media class!

-- AND NOW FOR MY SECOND FIRST POST YAY  --

Since I have been gone for so long, I thought that I would start back full steam ahead. I want to discuss two topics with you today. First, the idea that advertisements are called adverts in England/Great Britain. And second, let's bring up one of the BEST ads ever. And by best, I really mean controversial. Scandalous. Even a little bit jarring... Let me get your blood pumping a bit, if you will.

Photo: Google search for "advert"
Photo: Google search for "advertisement"
I love this! Ads are called "adverts" in Great Britain. See on the left. Even google says so.

The basic principle of an advertisement is to advert your attention, to capture your attention, from one subject to another, hopefully relevant subject... that is, if the ad exec did his or her job right,

The definition to the left, according to google, includes four topics for advertisements:

  1. product
  2. service
  3. event
  4. job vacancy
What are other things that you have seen "adverts" display? I think that those 4 pretty much sum it up for me. I don't know where I would put political candidate ads. Maybe under service?? What do you think?




Okay and now for the juicy part...


This ad is a little crazy, but just stick with me...


Photo: internetvibes.com

It's an ad for NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER

That's correct, pregnant ladies, it turns out you can have a beer with the boys.

Well my first thought was that the ad was about safe pregnancy. And then I read the side, and noticed the bottom corner. I had never heard of Nova Schin, the Brazilian lager, but then again I'm not into non-alcoholic beers lately, well ever. I don't even think that I would want a non-alcoholic beer if I was pregnant. And just off hand, that ad and pose and everything, I just really do not find that attractive. So I'm wondering who the target audience was here.

I'm a 24-year old maybe one day in the distant future potential mother.
And I'm not buying it.

Do you think that an entire board room of ad execs who planned this ad were gearing it more for men at a football game or NASCAR race? Cause that's what it's screaming to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment